Thursday, June 29, 2017

Food Price Hike Part 2


In 2015, I posted about food price hike in Kuching. Recently, I noticed 2 of my favorite bun (also know as pao locally) stalls also increase their price. The first one is my favourite steamed white bun stall, in which last year I paid RM1.70 for my favorite meat bun. Few months later, the price increased to RM2.00, then recently it is RM2.40. The second one is my favorite baked meat bun, which was RM1.80 per piece. Then, the price increased to RM2.00, followed by Rm2.20 and now is RM2.40 per piece. Within 1 year, the price increase by about 30%.

For the baked meat bun, the owner had earlier shared with me she is having a hard time due to price hike in all her ingredients such as cooking oil, butter and meat filling. She has no choice but to gradually increase her price to maintain the operation. One good point is that her baked meat bun still has the same quality and quantity.  I noticed there are other stalls which increase the price and reduce the size of their buns.

It is a bit scary because within 1 year, the price increase by 30%. Wondering what will happen if the cost of raw ingredients keep increasing like now.

photo credit: Đam Mê Ẩm Thực CÁCH LÀM BÁNH NGÀN LỚP VỚI PHÔ MAI VÀ MỨT MƠ NƯỚNG – BAKED BRIE IN PUFF PASTRY via photopin (license)

No comments:

Post a Comment