Dave and me just completed our registration of marriage on last Wednesday, 10 June 2009 at Jabatan Pendaftaran Negara, Kuching Branch. In case you are planning to get married and no idea where and how to register your marriage, the notes below might be helpful:
1) Prepare a passport size for both applicants. Preferably with blue background.
2) Prepare a photostate copy of your IC and birth certificate for both applicants.
3) Bring the above with the original IC and birth certificate and go to the nearest Jabatan Pendaftaran Negara (JPN). For us, our nearest JPN is at Satok, just above Merry Brown.
4) Both applicants will need to complete JPNKC02 form. Don't worry, the officer will assist you throughout the whole process.
5) Upon completion, the officer will ask you whether you choose to complete the marriage registration at JPN or at church or Chinese association. For us, we choose to complete the marriage registration at JPN.
6) The officer informed us our application will be displayed for 21 days on a medium size notice board, located at the first staircase of Kuching JPN.
7) The officer printed a letter to us, informing us on the marriage registration date and time and also the attire for the marriage registration. You can adjust the date if you can't make it on the date fixed by the officer.
8) On the marriage registration day, go to the same office, bring a long 2 witnesses All must wear formal and for man, must wear necktie. All 4 must bring along their IC as well.
9) Upon arrival, present all documents to the officer. She'll prepare the marriage certificates. There will be a lot of couples. It is based on first come first serve basis.
10) Make payment of RM30.00.
11) Wait for your turn. An officer will call for the applicants name. She will read marriage vows and advice to all 4. Then the groom and bride take turn to read a readily prepare wedding vows.
12) Then all 4 will sign on marriage certificates. The bride and groom will each have a copy of the certificate. You can choose to exchange your wedding rings here as well.
13) And you're married now.
For more information, you can log in to Jabatan Pendaftaran Negara website. For those from Kuching, you may contact these phone numbers which belong to JPN Satok Office: 082-241550 or 082-427877. For those from other area, you may check this website.
Even though the marriage certificates only cost RM30 but these certificates are important part of a married couple. These certificates protect the couple's right.