Monday, December 1, 2008

EPF @ KWSP - Annual Dividend Rate from 1983-2007

It's a hot topic since 6 Nov 2008. Everyone has his/her own views on the new regulations by EPF @ KWSP to reduce employee contributions from the current 11% to 8% for year 2009 till year 2010. Today, I am a bit curious on this coming EPF dividend rate for year 2008. I digged out my EPF statements and done some research on EPF website. I got the list of annual EPF dividend rate from year 1983-2007 as below:

The EPF dividend rate has been dropping since year 1988. The highest was when it's first introduced, in year 1983 with dividend rate of 8.50% (This is impressive. Almost similar to some good performing funds). The lowest dividend rate was in year 2002 with dividend rate 4.25% only (This is not good for a huge fund like EPF. But, at least still better compare to normal Fixed Deposit). From the list, I calculated the average dividend rate for the past 25 years is 6.98%. The average return is not bad. But, looking at the dividend for the past few years (especially after year 2000), the rate is not so encouraging. Hmm... I am wondering what's the dividend rate for this coming year - 2008. Let's hope it'll not be lower than 4.25%.

6 comments:

  1. I PRAY HARD for it.. hopefully the rate will be >5%. Sigh..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's keep our fingers crossed for 5.50%.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey may I know where you found the datas for the EPF rates please email me @ GideonNg89@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi NCY, as mentioned in my post above, I got it from KWSP / EPF website and I did check from my own EPF statement (for those years I started my contribution). But, a quick check from the recent KWSP website, I not able to get the data already...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can get the historical dividend rates from this website:

    http://1-million-dollar-blog.com/dividends/employees-provident-funds/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello ChinKah, thank you for the info :)

    ReplyDelete